Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nostalgia

I would define nostalgia as a sentimental desire for something in the past that one misses or wants back. One image that came to mind when I heard the song "Rock Around The Clock" was a black and white scene. In the scene there was a dance floor with lots of different people, the girls with their puffy skirts and dresses and boys with plaid shirts, dancing and laughing together as a band played and sang the song. There was one main singer who was in the center of the scene playing guitar and everyone was dancing in front of him, all in sync. The scene was happy and upbeat, like the song. When I think of my childhood certain images, smells, memories, and sounds pop into my head. Going to Graeter's with my dad, running through sprinklers with friends, playing kickball in my next door neighbor's backyard, watching movies and playing dolls with the girls next door, going fishing with Granddaddy, and going to the golf course with my dad are all images of my childhood. The smell of clean cut grass on our front lawn, the smell of cookies baking at Grandmother's house, the sound of the "I Love Lucy" theme, and the sound of Christmas music are all sounds and smells that remind me of the days from the past. These all have a nostalgic affect on me and will continue to do so as I remember my sweet childhood that is now behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment